Thursday, September 19, 2013

Reevaluations







These are some reevaluations of the Kendaia installation that I am considering. I am incorporating the vellum envelopes onto the screens and laying out my prints in front of the screens. Kanishka Raja suggested that I work toward complicating the arrangement of parts in the installation to enhance a more nuanced reading of the site. To this point, I am including the material research I have done for the Kendaia book in the envelope inserts.The screens are propped up against the wall and directly engage with the prints on the floor.  The dynamic between the wall and floor is emphasized in this arrangement, and extends the notion of both ground plane and horizon.  The envelopes add to the sense of absence and presence, as folded/seen/unseen materials hidden in plain sight.  I am imagining the prints to have their white borders removed, and covered with a large sheet of plexiglass with a painted grid on it.  The topographic forms will seemingly float on this gridded map, on which copper-foiled stones are placed in a spiral. 

The next project I hope to finish for the thesis show is a spiraled scroll piece, which will hang from the ceiling, and will include 10 - 12 large printed panels with encaustic.  Here are some of the visuals I will be using in this installation.  I have them spread out on the floor of the studio for now.






The complexity of the Kendaia site is endlessly fascinating to me, especially as I revisit these images. They represent an amazing confluence of history, natural phenomena, and cultural overlays. I am thinking a lot about Rauschenberg and Smithson as I begin this phase of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment