Monday, November 19, 2012

A Matter of Place

Landscape is about place. The matter of place is central to my spatial practice, whether my own backyard and neighborhood, the Finger Lakes region of New York State, or places around the world with contested borders, including Palestine, Mexico, or Europe or Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Edward Casey, a phenomenologist philosopher who teaches at SUNY Stonybrook, in his most recent three books, have given me a foundation on which to visually address the matter of place.  Spatial dialectics, memory, history, and self-identity all come into play.  The following images are examples of where my interests are headed.  I see them as exploratory and experimental, and hope they convey aspects of the important placial issues that concern living on this planet.

Slate Series: oil-based ink on slate, variable sizes, displayed on the floor











No comments:

Post a Comment